Reinforcing URM Walls with Fabric
Alan S. Hoback, Nicholas M. Van Heck University of Detroit Mercy Report, Dept. of Civil, Architectural & Environmental Engr., vol. 2020(12), 2020/12/30, pp. 1-4.
A preliminary investigation of the use of fabric to reinforce unreinforced masonry (URM) walls in third world countries. Eight common used cloths’ rupture strength and Young’s Modulus were determined. From those results, they were applied to a hypothetical example to see what amount of area and thickness of a fabric was required to prevent a URM wall from falling down. However, this paper is just the beginning of the concept of reinforcing URM walls in third world countries with fabrics. Therefore, further research is needed to support this concept and have this concept used in real life applications.
Link to full paper.
1. Curbach, M. and Jesse, F. “High-Performance Textile-Reinforced Concrete.” Structural Engineering International, 9(4), pp. 289-291, Oct. 1999
2. Gupta, R.S. “Principles of Structural Design: Wood, Steel, and Concrete.” CRC Press, pp. 325-346, 3rd edition, 2020
3. Malvar, L.J., Crawford, J.E., and Morrill, K.B., “Use of composites to resist blast.” Journal of Composites for Construction 11(6), pp 601-610, 2007
4. Mansourikia, M.T. and Hoback, A. S. “Damping of unreinforced masonry walls retrofitted with CFRP.” Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering, 15(1), pp. 35-45, 2015.
5. Mansourikia, M.T. and Hoback, A. S. “Retrofit of Unreinforced Masonry Walls Using Geotextile and CFRP.” Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering, 14, pp. 50-56, 2014.
6. Okazaki, K., Pribadi, K.S., Kusumastuti, D., and Saito, T. “Comparison of Current Construction Practices of Non-Engineered Buildings in Developing Countries.” Fifteenth world conference on earthquake engineering, Lisbon, 2012.
7. Teng, J.G., Chen, J.F., Smith, S.T., and Lam, L., “Behaviour and strength of FRP-strengthened RC structures: a state-of-the-art review.” Proceedings of the ICE-Structures and Buildings 156 (1), pp 51-62, Jun. 2001.
8. United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). “Advancing Sustainable Materials Management: 2018 Tables and Figures.” Municipal Solid Waste in the United States: Facts and Figures, Nov. 2020.